So, Let's Have a Chat About Feminism.


This post has taken me weeks to figure out what to say, and that's not an exaggeration. I've been deliberating over what to include, what to leave out, whether this is appropriate for my online space, how is it going to be taken etc etc etc... But I'm ready, I've gathered my thoughts, and here I am. So, let's have a little chat about feminism.

My name is Emily, and I am a feminist.

W H Y
I call myself a feminist because I believe that men and women, of all orientations, ethnicities, religions and walks of life deserve to be treated equally. That's it, that's what feminism means to me. And right now there are many instances of which that is not the case. For example, the hyper-masculinity forced on men, and socio-economic inequality forced on women (and there are many more that I cannot go into without this post being a book). I think that whoever you are, whatever gender-identity you align yourself with, you deserve to be respected. Because of that, I put my hand on heart and say I will advocate for those rights for all people to be themselves freely and have the same opportunities.

I've always worn my opinion on my sleeve, and feminism is no different. I am proud to say that everything I do is influenced by being inclusive, supportive and welcoming of all people. I stand up for what I believe is right, and I believe gender equality is something worth fighting for. Simple as that.

W H A T  I  S U PP O R T
+ Pay Equality
+ Expression of Femininity
+ Education For Women
+ Rights for People of Colour
+ Rights for People who are LGBT+
+ Rights for People expressing their Religion
+ Bodily Autonomy
+ More Female Representation in STEM Fields
+ More Female Representation in Film
+ Reproductive Rights
+ Standing up when there is inequality (for men, women and non-binary people!)

Note: There are many more things that I do support, but these are a few examples of what feminism looks like to me x

K E E P  L E A R N I N G
I admit that my world perspective is from a point of privilege. I'm white, I live in a first world country, I have had a good education, and have never had to face financial worry thanks to my parents. I admit that I have a lot still to learn. But I am open to that knowledge, and want to support and push for equality for women who are do not have the same social privileges as me. We deserve to be equal, all people, regardless of who we are or what we look like. If there is something I have overlooked, please please message me or comment below so that I can keep learning, and through that awareness find a way to progress and help in that cause. We need to listen to each other, have conversations and put our words into action for the better.

I N S P I R A T I O N
There are so many people who inspire me to be a feminist and who are doing the most they can to help make true equality a reality. Some are close friends and family, and there are others in the public eye who you can get to know about. I've included them below, because I'm only one person with one opinion, and I believe more than one voice needs to be a part of the conversation. These are people in the public eye, actors, politicians, activists, musicians and artists, from different cultures, time periods, appearances, etc. Each of them have some wonderful points on feminism, and if you can find the time to read their statements and watch their videos, I highly recommend it.

O N E  M O R E  T H I N G 
I would love to get a conversation going, if you want to talk in the comments or offer a view point, please feel free. This is a place of positive conversation and not a place for hate, so please take that somewhere else. This post is my personal (very abridged, I could talk for days) opinion on feminism and what it means to me, and I would love to meet some likeminded people through it. Thank you for reading.

Em xx


2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.