Thankyou, Chapter One


I have never read a book in one day before. Until two days ago. My mum came home with a book called Chapter One, written by one of the co-founders of my favourite organisation, Thankyou (yes, no space inbetween). It's the story of the highs and lows of the company up to right now, Daniel Flynn is not one to delay something until the right moment if he can do it now. The book is amazing, but first let me give you a quick run down of Thankyou.

Founded by three university students in Melbourne, Thankyou aims to sell products everyday people buy, and use 100% of the profit to fund projects in third world countries. They sell water, funding water projects, Cereal/Muesli Bars/Granola to fund food projects, and body care, to fund health & sanitation projects. The company has faced enormous set backs, but their all-important question, "what if it works?" has gotten their unique business model beating global companies like evian and dove on Coles and Woolworths shelves. As of January 2016, they have raised $3.7 million dollars.

Okay, back to the book. First thing I have to touch base on is the formatting. On the outside there's writing going in every direction. When you open it, you're faced with the requirement to challenge your perspective, you have to read it horizontally, something that feels foreign and would get you weird looks on the bus. But that is exactly the point of this book. It challenges you, shows you that a bright-novel-unheard-of-idea can change lives. Daniel talks about how his life, Thankyou, and the projects it funded influenced him as a person, and also his co-founders, Justine and Jarryd. Once you've jumped the hurdle of figuring out how to hold the book, the real inspiration starts.


At meetings and events, Thankyou was told their idea wouldn't work, they were walking with the lights off, and that they should quit while they're ahead. Aren't you glad that they never listened to those people? I won't talk much more about the contents, because I'm sure that the guys at Thankyou would not like me reciting every word. Anyway, sometimes going with your gut is the most important. Daniel Flynn launched his book in not one, but two left-wing formats. Firstly, it's design and horizontalness, but also in a pay what you like format. Basically, you pay what you can afford, and the profits go towards funding Chapter Two, Thankyou New Zealand and the Thankyou Baby Range. I'm happy to report the campaign beat its target by $200,000, and in half as many books. You can still buy the book, and I believe it is coming out in major book retailers soon.

This book inspired me so, so much. As a young, artsy person, I've been told that acting and singing and dancing around on a stage is an impossible career, that I will never go anywhere and at the end of all my efforts I will have nothing to show for it. Stuff that. If Chapter One taught me anything, it's that I really don't stand a chance if I listen to them, and so I intend to be completely and utterly deaf. I'll get there, and maybe I can change people's lives too (somehow, I'm only 16 so I've got time to figure it out). Chapter One says that you need to try as hard as you possibly can, and then do it for another 12 hours, which I am prepared to do. So Thankyou, Thankyou, Daniel, Justine and Jarryd, because you are have a pretty inspirational story, and it has 100% made a difference to my life.


as I am sort of a beauty blog, I'm gonna touch base on two of the body care products. The hand cream and body lotion smell like Geranium & Rosewood, and Mint & Spring flowers, respectively. Also, they rock, both of them are lightweight, hydrating + smell amazing. My two bottles went to hygiene projects in Bolivia, and it couldn't make me happier!

What do you think of Thankyou?



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.