Does Everything Happen For A Reason? : Life Lessons


Essay Topic: I've been in a weird state recently. I've been fluctuating between an intense 'I have no control of my future' feeling and some 'Everything is going to sort itself out on its own' moments. What I've been realising is that these two extremes have a commonality; everything that is happening in my life right now isn't a random case of events, and I wanted to talk about it a little more in depth because it's been fascinating me recently.

*quick little disclaimer: I in no way am a philosophy professional, just sharing an idea that's been bouncing around my mind for a while now*

I'm a strong believer in the 'everything happens for a reason' philosophy. I don't like to say I believe in Karma because I'm not a Buddhist and cherry-picking concepts from a religion isn't my style, but I will say that I think everything you are doing right now contributes to the events that happen in the future. This isn't as simples as do-good-things-and-good-things-will-come-back-to-you, it's much more deeply complicated than you realise, sometimes you don't even realise that you are setting up the stage until something clicks much later on.

For example, earlier this year I was working at McDonald's as a second job to make ends meet (this blog only shows the glitzy parts of my life, there's a whole lot more going down behind the scenes!). But without accepting that job and working those midnight hours and gaining all the hospitality experience, I wouldn't be able to be in the lovely job I'm in now. 

I'm now more than ever realising that actions in our lives can have an exponential effect later down the line. I'm becoming more aware of the idea that coincidence doesn't actually exist, and the fact that things tend to work out even if you don't expect them to comes down to your own merit and the work your past-self put in to get you where you want to be. The work you put in becomes the coincidence that makes you believe in the cosmic-star-crossed bullshit.

Skip the middle man and just believe in yourself.

And I don't think this works for just professional things, too. I would say it applies in droves to our personal lives. The places you go and the environment you surround yourself with will dictate the people you become friends with. The reaction you receive within your relationships corresponds with the action you take to connect with people. What we need to do is develop ourselves with the resources we have now and it will come back to you. Embody respect and openness and humility and you will find people and opportunities that are one and the same. The phrase 'everything happens for a reason' is true, as long as you put in the work to make the 'reason' possible. I promise you, the work you put in comes back in droves, often in ways you don't expect. I've been trying this out more and more in my life, working on creating opportunities now that can come back to me, prioritising taking care of myself and my relationships and I genuinely believe that everything that happens for a reason does happen for a reason. 

Hey, maybe that reason is you.

Seeya next week, Em x

2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.