Desk Details: Tiny Desk Tips


I like my interiors. Actually, I'd go far enough to say I love them. But I have the problem of a very small bedroom and a very, very small desk. I have the IKEA Micke Desk and it is 73cm in width (i.e. super-duper small). But when you have restrictions I find that you get more creative with how to organise your space. So this is a tour of what is on my tiny desk, let's get into it.

First off, the essentials of my desk are my lamp and my laptop. I swapped out my old copper lamp for a white and wood Kmart lamp, and I have my MacBook Air, which is technically my mum's but I'm going to be getting it for uni next year. After that, there isn't a lot of space left so you have to get pretty choosy about what you keep on the desk so it doesn't look like a personal drop off zone. I have (from left to right):

Tea Saucer and Mug: Kikki K and Myer - respectively
Coin Jar: made out of an old candle holder
Candle: Peppermint Grove Candle in Warm Amber and Geranium, which is my favourite scent ever.
Speaker: Bose Soundlink Mini
Tray: Kmart - which holds an Antipodes Face Mask and Pens
Photographs: Cut out of Yen Magazine
Current Book: How To Ruin Everything by George Watsky (look out for a review sometime soon)
Bag on Door Handle: Sportsgirl


So after my little edit of desk essentials, here are my tips for managing a small desk and keeping yourself productive when you're at it.

K E E P  I T  C L E A R
Tiny desks call for minimal objects, so just pick what you need on your desk and stick to it. The rest of the office-y stuff can stay in the drawer or somewhere else so you can keep the clutter to a minimum. 

B R I G H T N E S S  C R E A T E S  S P A C E 
All the constant items on my desk are white, which is because when things are bright they look bigger, which stops me from feeling cramped. This is also true for the other furniture in my room, my sheets and bed and bookcase are white because they reflect light instead of absorbing it, which is why my room is so bright.

M A K E  I T  Y O U R S 
This isn't so much about the tiny space, it's just about workspaces in general. If you don't like where you work/study/create, the chances are you won't be as inclined to work/study/create. I have a little bit of art on my wall and all the things on my desk I find aesthetically pleasing and that motivates me to spend more time there (which is good for someone who is inclined to procrastination instead of motivation like me).

Hope you enjoyed! What does your desk look like?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.