I Cut All My Hair Off


I don't tend to do things by halves. On Wednesday, I had light-brown hair that went down to my waist and now it's just brushing my shoulders and it's blonde. I've gone for a little bit of a change (i.e. got rid of 2/3 of my hair) you could say, and I thought I'd chronicle the inspiration/cut/colour/donate diary in a little post for you guys.

So first of all, I decided I was going to do this about five weeks ago. I was at a gig with my friend Sophie, we were in the mosh pit and someone behind me zipped my hair into their jacket. Thankfully I was able to get it out and not lose any (much) hair along the way. If you have long hair you know how often your hair gets stuck in car doors and the like, and my mind was pretty much made up after the jacket-experience.

What I learnt is if you want to do this, you need to do two things. A) find as many pictures as you can to show your hairdresser, and B) be aware that your hair is gonna do it's own thing and those pictures can only serve as a guide. I know my hair is not prone to heat styling and no matter what I do it's not going to be super responsive, so I it would be unrealistic to expect it to curl or straighten. I went in there with and open mind, bit the bullet and went for it.

Onto the cut. Because I had so much hair I have decided to donate it (more on that later), so we separated it into two sections and put each one into a plait. Right before we did the cut, Taylor my lovely hairdresser, just asked, "do you want to go a bit longer?" And you really need to. However short you want it, go an inch longer just to be on the safe side, the length we cut it to after we made it a bit longer was perfect and I'm so glad I gave myself a safety net. I'm really happy with the length I ended up with. (and ps thank you Taylor for the suggestion!) I decided to dive in deep with the hair and go for a lot more blonde than I had before. I had about a half head of foils put in over the top of my hair just to really lighten it up. 

Touching base on donating, in case people, are interested because my hair was previously highlighted I can't send it to any Australian places that make wigs. So I'm sending it off to the Little Princess Trust in England, which makes wigs for children with who have lost their hair through treatment like chemotherapy. They also accept coloured hair which is great for me. There's a link to the website here, and you can check out the guidelines and see whether it would be a good option if you want to cut your hair.

P R O S  O F  S H O R T  H A I R 
+ So much lighter
+ Flippy
+ Brushes like a dream
+ Washing hair takes 0.5 seconds

C O N S  O F  S H O R T  H A I R 

+ No more high ponytails


Would you ever go for the chop?

1 comment

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.