If It Costs You Your Peace, It's Too Expensive : Life Lessons

Series two of the things I've been learning quite quickly is here. Last time I wrote about not getting worked up about the little things, using that age-old spilt milk metaphor. Today I have something to have a chat about peace, happiness, and when to stop trying too hard. Let's get going.

I saw this quote a little while ago and it hit me harder than I expected. The timing of discovering this advice could not have been better; I was investing my emotional energy in things that amount to nothing, stressing about ultimately-irrelevant work/uni matters, etc, etc, etc. Essentially, I had been giving up my peace, inner and outer, for things that did not deserve the time, turmoil or energy.

Why do I place myself in stressful situations? Why do I stay awake at night deliberating my decisions, wondering if I'm doing things the 'right' way? Am I avoiding the pursuit of my own happiness because it's not as secure or orthodox as I'd like?

These are a few things I've been asking myself pretty regularly. When I get stressed and restless, it shows. People who know me will agree. I don't sleep well, I start biting my nails (a terrible habit), concentrating and patience goes out the window and I'll feel like a complete and utter mess. Sure I'm working lots of hours and getting a lot of errands done, but it sometimes comes at the cost of not being able to spend time with myself and sacrificing my peace. I'm quickly realising that I have needs that venture beyond work and tests, money and grades, and so do you. You have these needs too and you also have things, people and places that make you feel at peace. Some of mine, the beach in the early morning sun and the pages of a novel I've never turned before ~ as well as having the time to read it. Yours might be being with your loved ones, sleeping in, honing your craft, going to your special place; the list goes on. These needs are what makes you feel whole. Peace and fulfilment go hand in hand. Recently, I've been wondering what I've been doing to contribute to my sense of peace. I realised it was nothing. I've been getting worked up, pushing myself too far and too long without even stopping to consider what I've been missing. What I've been getting done looks really nice on paper but it doesn't actually contribute to anything personal. This brings me to the message of this life lesson and how applying it is paramount for you and me.

If it costs you your peace, it's too expensive.

Give up the things that cause you stress. Give up the things that keep you up at night. Cultivate the things that make you actually happy. Enjoy the moments of peace that get scarcer and scarcer as we get older. Spend your time wisely, don't funnel all your cash into things that don't make you a richer and more content person because of it. I hate feeling stressed and worried so the logical explanation is to stop putting myself in these situations. Making a conscience decision to do so is extremely important, change your priorities to suit what you really want. The stresses of life can wait. They can. You don't actually have to prioritise financial gain or work progression if those things do not make you feel happy. If what makes you happy is doing things that create memories that you'll look back on, do it! And just quickly I'm not saying that you should quit your job and become a nomad trekking New Zealand (unless you want to), but just adjust your perspective. Just don't put your personal happiness aside to create that ideal life that isn't concurrent with what you want from your life. It's at way too high a cost.

I've been giving up my peace. I'm trying to take it back now. You should too.

more posts later.

e. x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.