The Best Kind of Chaos: Moving Out


My room is full of boxes and flat-pack furniture, my clothes are hidden in suitcases, and I'm currently in a McDonalds using the free wifi to write this because the lack of internet in our house means that I've moved out of home! University doesn't start for another week or so, but I've headed over to my new house, and it's both liberating and nerve-wracking. I mean, day to day it's normal, but in the grand scheme of things it's a big step for anyone. I'm no stranger to moving houses, this is the 11th house I've lived in, but it's the first time doing it on my own (well with my housemates - ty for the help A & B). Seeing as Heya Emily is a personal lifestyle blog, I thought that I'd do a journal type post and talk about moving out and how I'm feeling about it all.

I'm starting a double degree in Business/Fine Arts at QUT which was my top preference, so I'm super stoked about getting into it. I'm hoping to get enough know-how from it to start my own magazine/online publication, and also get into the fiction ballgame. I've always loved writing, scripts, music, non/fiction, hell I even wrote paragraphs upon paragraphs in my math assignments in high school. Writing is my thing, and coupled with perfectionist tendencies I'm always pushing to make my writing better. And that's half the reason I moved, a change of scenery is always great for finding something new to write about, which I absolutely love. The more life experience, the more inspiration, the more writing material, it's a win-win scenario.

Next thing, moving out is expensive. It's hard to justify getting splendour in the grass tickets, when you could get three weeks rent for the same amount of cash, and a new vinyl is pretty much the cost of a weekly food shop. Yeah, I'm gonna have to get good at budgeting. I've been swapping out clothes shopping, cinema and concert tickets for wifi, translink top ups and a portable air-con because the heat in Brisbane is too much to deal with (it's 32 degrees today how is this fair ? ?). That being said, the student discounts aren't too shabby, and I can't complain about all the 50% off discounts that are around if you flash your student ID.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that it's hard to keep up communication with people, thank god for group chats. With most of my friends being up the coast, and only 10 or so that have moved down yet, it's easy to feel a bit isolated from everyone else. My whole family is also back in the hometown, so even though they're a phone call away it's hard not seeing them on the daily. I suppose it will take a bit of getting used to, and it'll get easier when uni starts and everyone settles in in Brisbane. As much as I miss everyone, I think having the extra time to transition from coast to city life will be pretty invaluable, and I have more time to explore both the CBD and my neighbourhood for the best food spots around.

I was nervous before I moved, worried that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, worried that I would forget things (I have a list of 20+ items that I left behind so that worry was warranted), but most of all I was worried that I wouldn't like the lifestyle that I've been planning for the past year. It's been a whole season of lasts and firsts, and so much change over the past three months has been nothing short of a whirlwind. I've never gone to university before, I've never moved out of home before, and really the only thing I had on my side is what I'd heard and the expectations I made for the move. But, after settling in a bit, I'm resting a whole lot easier. This has been a big lifestyle switch, and I knew if I wasn't nervous I wouldn't have been pushing myself in the right direction. I suppose a bit of chaos is healthy, and that chaos ends up making you a better person in the long run.

Yes, it's odd being thrown into a new life in a new town but it's definitely for the best. I can't find the words to say this without sounding cliche, but it just feels like the right thing to be doing. I'm glad I've moved, I love my house, the course I'm starting, the new opportunities and experiences that this city is full to the brim of, if I want to brave the summer heat wave and go look for them, that is. For now, I'm happy to be sitting in an air-conditioned maccas waiting out the heat.

If you're moving for university, I'd love to hear about how you're feeling about it, either send me a message on one of my social media pages or leave me a comment below.

talk soon, em x

2 comments

  1. "It's been a whole season of lasts and first" - Ah I remember this feeling so well! you're right, it can be really scary but I promise that soon it becomes completely normal. I find it hard to even remember what it felt like not being at uni.

    Based on your level of self-awareness, I know you're going to smash it! Good luck (but you don't need it).

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Classes start Monday, so I'm sure I'll update the blog on the progress soon x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.