A Rookie's Guide to University Essentials


O-Week came around way too quickly. Last thing I knew I was in my graduation ceremony, and now I'm sat on the QUT campus waiting around for my Introduction Seminar to kick off. I feel super ready to start, I've had a big enough break (I'll regret saying that after my 1st economics tutorial), and kicking off a double degree just seems like the right thing to do. That being said, I'm still completely and utterly being thrown in the deep end here, I'm definitely a University Rookie. So, apart from my textbooks, I didn't really know what I needed when I was on campus, and I don't think many other first years do either. So I asked around, talked to a few of my friends who have already been, and these are the things I think you need to be taking with you class to class.

Give and take what you like, but this is what I'm going to be having with me on the daily xx

+ L A P T O P
Uni Student 101, if you can remember to bring your laptop you're 80% of the way there. If you're at uni this is the go to item, and it makes the wait between lectures go so much faster if you can log into Netflix (or, you know, study) while you wait.

+ P H O N E
Another no brainer. You probably already use your phone for everything, and having your social networks on hand during o-week really helps with getting connected with the other people in your degree. That being said, there's a couple of apps you should download if you haven't already to make uni a little bit easier and have everything there where you need it.

    + TRANSLINK
    + UNI APP - QUT, ANU, UQ, USC etc...
    + SPOTIFY
    + TIDE APP
    + BANKING
    + EMAIL

+ N O T E B O O K S
Obviously, if you're a fan of writing on your laptop stick with that, but keep a notebook in your bag just incase.

+ T E X T B O O K S
Unless you have to, don't pay full price for these! Get on Facebook and check out the textbook exchanges for your uni, and you can sell yours on too after finishing up with them.

+ R E A L  B O O K
Time killer, eye opener, you name it, a good book has the whole shebang.

+ C H A R G E R
I'm a forgetful person, and most days I forget to charge my phone and end up leaving the house with 20% battery or less. Chuck your chargers in your bag or pick up a portable one, so that you're good to go. (Or just be organised and charge your tech)

+ S D  /  U S B
Back up your stuff! If you haven't learnt to save your assignments everywhere you can, get on it now. Trust me, there is nothing worse than losing 1400 words because your computer crashed, we all have enough stress from uni anyways.


+ S N A C K S & W A T E R
If you're a uni student, you're probably broke as. And in saying that, you probably don't have money to buy lunch everyday, so bringing food saves you like $40 a week, which fine by me.

+ H E A D P H O N E S
For all your en-route shuttle bus spotify sessions.

+ W A L L E T
Keep your student card, keys and translink card close, you'll be needing them on the daily.

+ C O F F E E  C A S H
Let caffeine undo the mistakes you made staying up to 3am.

+ W A T C H
I know it's on your phone, but having a good timepiece is classic, and easier than fishing around in your bag to for your phone to tell you the time.

+ P E N S
I mean, what do you want me to say here?

+ H A N D  S A N I T I S E R
Bathrooms, Busses, really any unexpected situation, you're gonna want this.

+ H A N D  C R E A M
Not really a necessity, but nice to have on hand (oh god that was bad).

+ A M E N I T I E S  K I T
So these are your little emergency essentials that you should be carrying around incase any kind of inconvenience pops up. I'd recommend carrying band-aids, painkillers, tissues, pads, deodorant, whatever you need in a not so pleasant situation.

+ B A G  T O  C A R R Y  A L L  T H I S
I mean, if you want to try and juggle it feel free.

What are you keeping on hand during uni?

8 comments

  1. SO HELPFUL. Thank you, you've already saved me and classes don't start till Monday! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thank you! Glad I could help out, good luck with your first day! xx

      Delete
  2. This is such a great list! I've actually been at uni for a couple of years now so I can say that you are totally right - especially about chargers. I always seem to forget mine!

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you have any tips for a fresher please send them my way!!

      Delete
  3. Love this as a post idea! I can definitely agree with everything on this list as a university student myself haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. https://www.freelanceitout.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice bLog! its interesting. thank you for sharing.... takardar visa ta Indiya

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Heya Emily. Design by Fearne.